Walking Tour-42 West Washington Street-Walking Tour
(South Side of Street)
This house was built in 1953 as the home of Allen E. Hawk, owner of Hawk Tool & Engineering Co., located in the Ford factory building at 20 W. Washington. Hawk bought the Clarkston mills/Ford factory property in 1953 after Village residents voted not to buy the property from Ford
Official Property Description:
- Originally a part of the Clarkson Mills Property in the Southwest 1/4 of Section 20 of Independence Township.
- Lot 1 Block 15 on Nelson W. Clark's Original Plat of the Village.
- Lot 010 of the Assessor's Plat.
Significant Property History:
[A Synopsis Of Property Transfers Derived From Abstracts
(when available) And Periodic Changes In Ownership Or
Assessed Value Derived From Township Tax Records]
- Note: All the properties currently located in the Historic District were originally part of a tract registered by Butler Holcomb with the federal government on October 22, 1831. Thus, abstracts for these properties, when they exist, show the original transfer to be from the United States to Butler Holcomb and may also include references to then President Andrew Jackson.
- 1844 Jeremiah and Nelson W. Clark, the Mill Lot, assessed value $2000.
- 1847 as above.
- 1848 Nelson W. Clark, the Mill "Lott" on the Southwest 1/4, assessed value $2000.
- 1872 Map of the Village shows this Lot as a part of the Clarkston Mills property, owners Hirst and Stiff.
- 1896 Map of the Village shows this lot as a part of the Clarkston Mills property, owner, John West.
- 1949 Allen E. Hawke
Site Conceived By
And Grant Funding Obtained By
Mollie Lynch, Library Director 1991-2005
Researched And Written By Susan K. Basinger
Web Pages Designed And Built By Bill And Susan
Contents ©2000 Independence Township Library
All Rights Reserved