Picture of 54 West Washington Street

Walking Tour-54 West Washington Street-Walking Tour
(South Side of Street)


Historically, according to the research done in the 1970s for the Historic Building/Structure Inventory Form, the original section of this house was a tollhouse on Dixie Highway which was moved to this site by 1862. Under the ownership of "Lizzie" Rockwell this house served as a maternity home in the 1920s. Since 1990 this house has undergone major renovation. A second story was added to the single story ell at the rear (south side). Note: two bedrooms on second floor were previously connected with a hallway which was less than 3' wide.


Official Property Description:


Significant Property History:

[A Synopsis Of Property Transfers Derived From Abstracts
(when available) And Periodic Changes In Ownership Or
Assessed Value Derived From Township Tax Records]


Site Conceived By And Grant Funding Obtained By
Mollie Lynch, Library Director 1991-2005
Researched And Written By Susan K. Basinger
Web Pages Designed And Built By Bill And Susan Basinger
Contents 2000 Independence Township Library
All Rights Reserved